Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Advanced Fiction Writing Pre-Class Discussion

Got into a discussion about fonts today, which considering some of the other topics that have come up before Advanced Fiction, it is a rather tame one. But it started when a classmate friend of mine, who shall remain nameless until he reads this and say yay or nay about name usage from here on out, became a little flustered when he realized he didn't switch from his preferred font to Times New Roman on his printouts for class, the name of the fonts which as my memory usually does, escapes me right now, this made me feel like I should have a preferred font to make myself seem more intelligent, and considering the fact I used to have one, Papyrus (yes, yes, I know terrible font...second only to comic sans), and my phobia of picking a critically panned font because of my last choice. (Most are now asking themselves "What kind of moron likes Papyrus?") I decided I would pick one that could neither be used in scholarly type works, and doesn't even come on a computer standard. I picked Exocet, which has been used in such places as, Planescape: Torment (Video Game), Planescape source books for D&D, and Diablo 1 and 2 (Video games made by Blizzard Entertainment). While my choice may seem odd because I do not like it because of its spacing, or neatness of lines, I am at least comfortable knowing that it has in fact been in print, the aforementioned D&D sourcebooks, it does not come standard, and not EVERYONE hates it.

For those of you interested in seeing, and/or using, this font, it can be found here.

An example can be found at this website if you don't want to download it, they use it on their leftmost sidebar headings.

No comments:

Post a Comment